Legal & Privacy
Effective Date: 25-March-2013
3. USE OF SOFTWARE. Company may make certain software available to you from the Site. If you download software from the Site, the software, including all files and images contained in or generated by the software, and accompanying data (collectively, “Software”) are deemed to be licensed to you on a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable basis by Company, for your personal, noncommercial, home use only. Company does not transfer either the title or the intellectual property rights to the Software, and Company retains full and complete title to the Software as well as all intellectual property rights therein. You may not sell, redistribute, or reproduce the Software, nor may you decompile, reverse-engineer, disassemble, or otherwise convert the Software to a human-perceivable form. All trademarks and logos are owned by Company or its licensors and you may not copy or use them in any manner.
5. COMPLIANCE WITH INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAWS. When accessing the Site or using the Service, you agree to obey the law and to respect the intellectual property rights of others. Your use of the Service and the Site is at all times governed by and subject to laws regarding copyright ownership and use of intellectual property. You agree not to upload, download, display, perform, transmit, or otherwise distribute any information or content (collectively, “Content”) in violation of any third party’s copyrights, trademarks, or other intellectual property or proprietary rights. You agree to abide by all laws regarding copyright ownership and use of intellectual property, and you shall be solely responsible for any violations of any relevant laws and for any infringements of third party rights caused by any Content you provide or transmit, or that is provided or transmitted using your User ID. The burden of proving that any Content does not violate any laws or third party rights rests solely with you.
7. COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT. Company has in place certain legally mandated procedures regarding allegations of copyright infringement occurring on the Site or with the Service. Please visit our DMCA Policy link at the bottom of the site pages to view our Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown policies and to make a claim of infringement. Company’s DMCA Policy is expressly incorporated into this Agreement by reference.
10. NO WARRANTIES. COMPANY HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES. COMPANY IS MAKING THE SITE AVAILABLE ON AN “AS-IS, WHERE-IS, AS-AVAILABLE, WITH ALL FAULTS” BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. YOU SOLELY ASSUME THE RISK OF ANY AND ALL DAMAGE OR LOSS FROM USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE SITE OR THE SERVICE. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, COMPANY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, REGARDING THE SITE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, NONINFRINGEMENT OR AGAINST VIRUSES, SPYWARE OR MALWARE THAT MAY BE INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER. COMPANY DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SITE OR THE SERVICE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR THAT THE OPERATION OF THE SITE OR THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE.
13. PROHIBITED USES. Company imposes certain restrictions on your permissible use of the Site and the Service. You are prohibited from violating or attempting to violate any security features of the Site or Service, including, without limitation, (a) accessing content or data not intended for you, or logging onto a server or account that you are not authorized to access; (b) attempting to probe, scan, or test the vulnerability of the Service, the Site, or any associated system or network, or to breach security or authentication measures without proper authorization; (c) interfering or attempting to interfere with service to any user, host, or network, including, without limitation, by means of submitting a virus to the Site or Service, overloading, “flooding,” “spamming,” “mail bombing,” or “crashing;” (d) using the Site or Service to send unsolicited e-mail, including, without limitation, promotions, or advertisements for products or services; (e) forging any TCP/IP packet header or any part of the header information in any e-mail or in any posting using the Service; or (f) attempting to modify, reverse-engineer, decompile, disassemble, or otherwise reduce or attempt to reduce to a human-perceivable form any of the source code used by Company in providing the Site or Service. Any violation of system or network security may subject you to civil and/or criminal liability.
15. OUR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. All contents of Site or Service are: Copyright © 2013 North Woods Ventures, LLC; PO Box 47331; Plymouth, MN 55447. All rights reserved. The term, “Canning Season” is a trademark owned by North Woods Ventures, LLC. Other notices may apply.
18. NO LICENSE. Nothing contained on the Site should be understood as granting you a license to use any of the copyrighted material, trademarks, service marks, or logos owned by Company or by any third party.
19. MINNESOTA USE ONLY. The Site is controlled and operated by Company from its offices in the State of Minnesota. Company makes no representation that any of the materials or the services to which you have been given access are available or appropriate for use in other locations. Your use of or access to the Site should not be construed as Company’s purposefully availing itself of the benefits or privilege of doing business in any state or jurisdiction other than Minnesota.
Effective Date: 25-March-2013
The Big Picture:
At CanningSeason.com we respect your right to privacy and protection of your personal information. We hate spam as much as you do. With that in mind, and above all else, you can be 100% assured that we will never sell your personal information to third parties.
CanningSeason.com (“us,” “we,” or “CS”) is committed to respecting the privacy rights of its customers, visitors, and other users of the CS website (the “Site”). In that spirit, the balance of this policy speaks to the types of personal information we receive and collect when you visit the CanningSeason.com website and the ways we safeguard your information.
Keep in mind, we reserve the right, at any time, to add to, change, update, or modify this Policy, simply by posting such change, update, or modification on the Site and without any other notice to you. Any such change, update, or modification will be effective immediately upon posting on the Site. It is your responsibility to review this Policy from time to time to ensure that you continue to agree with all of its terms.
1. What types of information does the CS site collect?
In operating the Site, CS may include newsletters, online commenting areas, and other online forms that ask users to provide their names, e-mail addresses, and other contact information. Users who choose to provide such information do so of their own free will.
2. What additional information does CS collect?
(a) Data that is automatically collected: Our servers automatically recognize visitors’ domain names and IP addresses (the number assigned to computers on the Internet). No personal information about you is revealed in this process. The Site may also gather anonymous “traffic data” that does not personally identify you, but that may be helpful for marketing purposes or for improving the services we offer.
(b) Cookies: You should expect and assume that we will use what are known as the “cookies” feature of major browser applications. These so-called “cookies” allow us to store a small piece of data on your computer about your visit to our Web site. Cookies help us learn which areas of our site are useful and which areas need improvement. You can choose whether to accept cookies by changing the settings on your browser. However, if you choose to disable this function, your experience at our Web site may be diminished and some features may not work as they were intended.
3. What does CS do with the collected information?
(a) Your Personal Information: We do not and will not share your personal information with any third parties without your consent, except as necessary to provide you with the services offered by us or to comply with the law. We may use your information as part of a greater collection of data related to the site in such things as traffic discussions regarding articles posted on the blog. No individual users’ visit, whether you or another visitor, are discussed in such generalized discussions. These aggregate data are used for education purposes only and no reader of the article will be able to identify you.
(b) Anonymous Information: We use anonymous information to analyze our Site traffic. In addition, we may use anonymous IP addresses to help diagnose problems with our server, to administer our site, or to display the content according to your preferences. Traffic and transaction information may also be shared with business partners and advertisers on an aggregate and anonymous basis.
(d) Disclosure of Personal Information: We may disclose personal information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to (1) conform to the edicts of the law or comply with legal process served on CS or its parent company, subsidiaries or affiliates, (2) protect and defend the rights or property of CS or the users of the Site, or (3) act under exigent circumstances to protect the safety of the public or users of the Site.
(e) Sale of Information: In order to accommodate changes in our business, we may sell or buy portions of CS or other companies or assets, including the information collected through this Web site. If CS or substantially all of its assets are acquired, you should assume customer information would likely be one of the assets transferred to the acquirer. In general, we may be prohibited by law and certain confidentiality restrictions from informing you of such transactions ahead of time so we assume no obligation to do so.
(f) Access to Information: Unfortunately, we do not maintain any procedures for you to review or request changes to the information that we collect about you, except that you may request that we remove all information about you from our database by contacting us in accordance with provisions discussed below.
The Site has security measures in place to prevent the loss, misuse, and alteration of the information that we obtain from you, but we make no assurances about our ability to prevent any such loss, misuse, to you or to any third party arising out of any such loss, misuse, or alteration.
5. Areas of the CS website beyond CS’s control – Public comments and/or Public Forum
The Site may include interactive sections such as commenting areas where visitors to the site can post comments. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information that could theoretically circulate about the Internet indefinitely. As such, we recommend you exercise appropriate caution when deciding to disclose your personal information.
6. Areas of the CS website beyond CS’s control – Third party websites
The Site contains links to other websites. If you choose to visit other websites, we have no control over the privacy practices or content of those other websites, and it is your responsibility to review the privacy policies at those websites to confirm that you understand and agree with their policies.
7. Concerning children
While we believe chilrden defintely have a place in the gardening and canning process, and we strongly encourage their involvement, CS itself is a general audience site that directs none of its content specifically at children under 18 years of age. From time-to-time we may produce content aimed specifically at encouraging and even facilitating the involvement of children in the gardening and canning processes. However, we understand and are committed to respecting the sensitive nature of children’s privacy online. If we learn or have reason to suspect that a Site user is under age 18, we will promptly delete any personal information in that user’s account.
8. How to contact us regarding this policy
If you have any questions about this Policy, our practices related to this Site, or if you would like to have us remove your information from our database please feel contact us at the following:
“admin ‘at’ canningseason ‘dot’ com”.
North Woods Ventures, LLC; PO Box 47331; Plymouth, MN 55447 USA; telephone: (763) 260-4250
Effective Date: 25-March-2013:
John P. Gavin and his company, North Woods Ventures, LLC (“NWV”), strongly support transparency on the web. In that spirit, we want you to know this important disclosure:
- From time to time, we will talk about certain products and/or service providers, including providing links to those products and/or service providers on this site, on which NWV will earn what’s called an “affiliate commission” for any purchases you make. As this is the ONLY way we make money from running this site, we are also VERY grateful for your supporting us this way.
The Canning Season (“CS”) website, podcast, and related brands are owned by NWV. Our goal with CS is to provide advice, tips, inspiration and a sense of community as related to the topic of home canning and food preservation.
NWV is structured as a for-profit business. Here’s how it works: We give you access to great content and guests for free. But it costs money for us to produce all of this content. In return, if you click on certain of the links on the site and make a purchase when you do so, NWV may earn a commission. And you earn our deep appreciation for your support!
So we thought it would be helpful to share some elements of how NWV conducts itself and how we actually make money with this site.
Maintaining trust with our listeners is critical. There will be occasions when NWV will earn compensation directly related to people buying the products or services offered on the CS website. Sometimes NWV will even earn compensation through your buying the products or services of our guests. So here are the ground rules, all of which are discussed in greater detail below:
- We believe so firmly in maintaining trust with our listeners and readers that our policy is to set up affiliate relationships only with companies whose products and/or services we personally know and can recommend.
- People cannot pay NWV or its owners or employees to have their products featured or discussed on the podcast or in the blog. If a guest has been invited to appear on the podcast, or if we talk and/or write about any product or service, it is because we have a genuine interest in the products/services and/or expertise of that guest, and think the audience will too.
- We frequently provide links to the sites of my guests and other sites of interest with no compensation to NWV whatsoever.
- When in doubt, we recommend you just assume any and all links appearing on the CS website are links for which NWV earns a commission. This is not always the case. But it’s a safe default if you don’t want to give it much thought.
Finally, you can rest assured that we will endeavor to disclose anything that could be deemed a conflict of interest by a reasonable person and also to stay in full compliance with all applicable laws and rules governing the activities of this site.
Use of Affiliate Links – Also known as “Compensated Links”
There are certain instances where NWV will receive compensation for goods or services purchased through someone clicking on a link at the CS website. That is called an “affiliate link” and will be labeled as such. This is the only way we earn money for running this site so we are very grateful when you support us this way. When in doubt, we recommend you assume any and all links appearing on the CS website are links for which NWV earns a commission.
To illustrate, NWV is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. That means that anytime you click on an Amazon.com link on the CS website and proceed to immediately purchase a product at Amazon, NWV will earn a small commission.
Uncompensated Links to the Web Sites of My Guests
Yes, links placed on the CS website can be a nice way to generate sales for a guest after his or her appearance on the show. You heard about the guest, you think it’s cool, you use the link.
It’s pretty simple and we don’t mind extending that courtesy to a guest who was gracious enough to give us time for an interview. Again, we frequently provide links to the sites of my guests with no compensation to NWV whatsoever. These links are placed so our listeners can easily learn more about or even buy the products or services or a guest. In addition to my mentioning it in the podcast episode itself, these links would typically be posted to the CS website as well.
Sometimes a guest will provide us with product samples, services, or certain other items of value ahead of their interview. This is a common practice that enables us to get a better understanding of the product or service that a guest will be discussing on the show and, hopefully, make for a better episode. When this happens, we will tell you about it during the episode in which the guest appears.
Digital Millenium Copyright Act Notice
Takedown Policy and Procedures
North Woods Ventures, LLC, dba CanningSeason.com respects the intellectual property rights of others just as it expects third parties to respect its rights. Pursuant to Digital Millennium Copyright Act, Title 17, United States Code, Section 512(c), a copyright owner or their agent may submit a takedown notice to us via our DMCA Agent listed below. As an Internet service provider, we are entitled to claim immunity from said infringement claims pursuant to the “safe harbor” provisions of the DMCA. To submit a good faith infringement claim to us, you must submit notice to us that sets forth the following information:
Notice of Infringement – Claim
- A physical or electronic signature of the copyright owner (or someone authorized to act on behalf of the owner);
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed;
- Identification of the infringing material to be removed, and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material. [Please submit the URL of the page in question to assist us in identifying the allegedly offending work];
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact the complaining party including your name, physical address, email address, phone number and fax number;
- A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that the use of the material is unauthorized by the copyright agent; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and, under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
Title 17 USC §512(f) provides civil damage penalties, including costs and attorney fees, against any person who knowingly and materially misrepresents certain information in a notification of infringement under 17 USC §512(c)(3).
DMCA Agent for North Woods Ventures, LLC:
Send all takedown notices by email or overnight courier service for prompt attention to:
• Scott L. Anderson, Esq., Fabyanske Westra Hart & Thomson, P.A., 800 Lasalle Avenue, Suite 1900, Minneapolis, MN 55402 USA
• Tel: 612-359-7600
• Email: slanderson [at] fwhtlaw.com
Counter Notification – Restoration of Material
If you have received a notice of material being taken down because of a copyright infringement claim, you may provide us with a counter notification in an effort to have the material in question restored to the site. Said notification must be given in writing to our DMCA Agent and must contain substantially the following elements pursuant to 17 USC Section 512(g)(3):
- Your physical or electronic signature.
- A description of the material that has been taken down and the original location of the material before it was taken down.
- A statement under penalty of perjury that you have a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled.
- Your name, address, and telephone number, and a statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of the federal district court for the judicial district in which the address is located (or if you are outside of the United States, that you consent to jurisdiction of any judicial district in which the service provider may be found), and that the you will accept service of process from the person or company who provided the original infringement notification.
- Email your counter notice to our DMCA Agent: Scott L. Anderson, Esq., Fabyanske Westra Hart & Thomson, P.A., 800 Lasalle Avenue, Suite 1900, Minneapolis, MN 55402 USA Tel: 612-359-7600 Email: slanderson [at] fwhtlaw.com Again, email or overnight courier is encouraged for quickest action.
Repeat Infringer Policy
North Woods Ventures, LLC takes copyright infringement very seriously. Pursuant to the repeat infringer policy requirements of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, North Woods Ventures, LLC maintains a list of DMCA notices from its copyright holders with its registered DMCA Agent. The company makes a good faith effort to identify any repeat infringers on this list pursuant to the safe harbor requirements of the DMCA.
North Woods Ventures, LLC reserves the right to modify the contents of this page and its policy for handling DMCA claims at any time for any reason. You are encouraged to check back to review this policy frequently for any changes.