In home canning as well as in life, we sometimes get off our game; some call it "losing our mojo". You know that feeling: Things aren't quite right, we keep messing up, we can't seem to get into that rhythm that keeps us productive and allows us to feel at ease. That's what it has been like for me this growing season. In today's episode I tell you how a simple bucket of cucumbers got me back in balance. It's an episode I think you'll enjoy.
Seasonal canners will benefit by refreshing themselves on techniques, concepts, and processes that form the foundation to safe home canning. Those new to home canning will find trusted places to learn and get started.
John's Must-Have Resources Mentioned in Today's Show
- Blue Book Guide to Preserving (Amazon affilate link)
- The National Center for Home Food Preservation - Includes Complete Guide to Home Canning, 2009 revision. Free!
- University of Alaska Fairbanks Extension Service - Takes you to a phenomenal series of web-based learning modules. Very well done. Free!
Things we Talk about in Today's Show
- The benefit of purging your old canning goodies.
- Why it's okay to make mistakes and how we benefit from them.
- Don't let your eyes be bigger than your stomach - In other words, you don't have to get all your canning done in one day.
- Great kosher dill pickles.
- Sweet-hot relish
- Awesome refrigerator pickles that start in a bucket in your garage.
Advertisers You Can Use to Support Canning Season (Affiliate links)--
Hilton Hotels (link is external) - My favorite hotel chain.
Canner I use: Presto 1755 16-Quart Aluminum Pressure Cooker/Canner (Amazon)
Before you go ...
If you haven't done it already please take a moment to give me a rating on iTunes (link is external) (hopefully positive if you think I've earned it!).
Thanks for listening and all your wonderful support!