Today’s episode continues the Canning 101 theme by identifying and discussing the two recommended methods for safe home canning of foods. Those methods are: Boiling Water Bath and Pressure Processing. I also discuss unsafe and outdated methods of home canning experts recommend should no longer be used.
Listen and you will learn:
– A review of the basic concepts of preventing botulism and food poisoning,
– Principals of safely processing low-acid versus high-acid foods,
– How boiling water processing works versus pressure processing.
– Unsafe methods of home canning no longer recommended by experts including:
- Open kettle canning.
- Processing your jars in a conventional oven, dishwasher, or microwave oven.
- Using parafin wax for sealing.
- So-called “canning powders”